Imagine the world without anger, without greed. We have the power, the tools, the skills and the resources right now to build a peaceful world, where people live in harmony with the Earth and each other. This blog explores ways we are doing just that, one post, one change, one day at a time. Join me. Tell your stories. Ask for help. Spread your ideas for making the vision real and, well, ordinary.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Stonyfield Farm now packing their yogurt in corn plastic--Like it?

You all know how important it is to me to carry reusable containers and avoid plastic, so it may come as a surprise that I welcome the new Stonyfield Farm Multipack yogurt containers made from corn. Yes, it bothers me a lot that they're made from corn. I don't intend to buy cases of them in the future, but it's a conscious choice in a not so conscious world.

Sometimes, we're out with the grandbabies on a hot day and the snacks we brought with us are already gone. If we have to make a quick stop to buy a goodie for the children, Stonyfield organic yogurt in a multipack is an emergency option. It is organic, does not contain high fructose corn syrup, is not packaged in petroleum-based plastic, so not leaching as many bad chemicals into the children's food, and is supporting, if not one-hundred percent derived from, responsibly grown corn--no GMOs, no artificial fertilizers or pesticides, good soil stewardship.

Better for the planet, better for human bodies

What's more, if I were still working twelve or more hours a day, and my dinner break consisted of a quick run to the corner mart for a tub of yogurt, I would opt for Stonyfield for the same reasons. Stonyfield is competing with the Dannons and Yoplaits of the world. For folks who buy those products regularly, Stonyfield is a more ecological choice: Better for the planet; Better for the human body. That's my opinion, of course, but based on the fact that Stonyfield works with organic dairy farmers to provide a market for their milk. Plus, now that Stonyfield is using corn-based containers for their multi-packs, they're helping sustainable corn growers compete in the marketplace with GMO corn growers, protecting our soil bank, protecting non-gmo seeds, protecting other critters, our air and water supply, and protecting us by avoiding harmful artificial fertilizers and pesticides.

Beth did the research

Beth Terry of Fake Plastic Fish asks today, "What do you think about Stonyfield Farm's new PLA yogurt cups?" I was surprised that she gave them a thumbs up, knowing how she feels about all things plastic, and the fact they are not yet recyclable, but she made some good points, well-researched as always. I encourage you to grab a cuppa and pop on over and read her post. It's well worth the time. I'm on my way out the door now to buy another quart of raw milk. I'm going to give her thermos yogurt recipe a try.

What DO you think of the new Stonyfield packaging? I'm curious to know.
__
 
We make peace in a million small ways every day.
All text and images, unless otherwise noted, copyright L. Kathryn Grace. All rights reserved.

5 comments:

Beth Terry @ Fake Plastic Fish said...

Ooh, lookiing forward to hearing how your yogurt-making experiment works out for you.

kario said...

I struggle with this, too. My kids are constantly on the go and constantly hungry, so we are always looking for snacks that are portable and environmentally conscious. I tend to buy things in enormous quantities and then repackage them in our reusable sandwich bags for the car, but sometimes you've just got to have something with protein. I hate the tubes of yogurt for the extra packaging, so I'm thrilled to see Stonyfield is doing this. I'll give it a try. Like you, I'm not thrilled with the corn, but it's better than plastic.

Deb Shucka said...

I'm so glad to know about this. It's a step in the right direction, and change happens one small step at a time.

graceonline said...

Beth, it turned out delicious, and oh so easy! I can't believe how good it is! I'll post about the experiment tomorrow.

Kario and Beth, yes, small steps in the right direction are useful and in the case of a company like Stonyfield, we can expect the small steps to lead the way to bigger and bigger ones.

Hayden said...

Wonder if they're paying their farmers a living wage? Most dairy farmers aren't getting one....

But I know that I'm carping here, and am willing to support whoever is doing the most at any moment in time - so if Stonyfield has corn based packaging instead of plastic, they would get my (theoretical) dollars.

My real dollars stay in my pocket, and I make my yogurt at home. No hungry grandkids, so it works.

Post a Comment