Imagine the world without anger, without greed. We have the power, the tools, the skills and the resources right now to build a peaceful world, where people live in harmony with the Earth and each other. This blog explores ways we are doing just that, one post, one change, one day at a time. Join me. Tell your stories. Ask for help. Spread your ideas for making the vision real and, well, ordinary.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Learning mean, teaching grace

Sister and Brother
Pál Balkay (1785–1846)
Image via Wikipedia
A little girl watches a show about little girls and learns that girls are mean. She decides that to be authentic, she has to practice being mean, so she rubs mud all over her little brother's face. Her mother sees it all. Her mother, a wise woman, counsels the child.

We talked and talked about how anyone who is feeling connected with their Source would never be mean to anyone.
Michelle O'Neil
Full Soul Ahead

Afterward, Mom says the child seems relieved, "because this mean thing? She really doesn’t have it in her."

Don't you love this? What a fabulous mom, not overreacting, but learning what was behind the dirty deed (pun, yes) and discovering the child was confused by our culture into thinking she had to be something she did not want to be.

Thank goodness for thoughtful moms--and dads--who take the time to listen to their children and find out what is on their minds instead of lashing out with a punishment. That's how we build Ordinary, and is one more reason why Michelle O'Neil is one of my Ordinary Heroes. Sadly, Michelle says she may give up blogging soon to devote time to other pursuits. I have learned so much from her and will deeply miss her enchanting, funny, sometimes incredibly sad, frequently moving, stories of life with a husband she adores and two beautiful children, one of whom is learning to navigate the world, with valor and love, through the difficult prism of autism.
__
We make peace in a million small ways every day.
All text and images, unless otherwise noted, copyright L. Kathryn Grace. All rights reserved.
Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

A Box of Chocolates said...

It is wonderful isn't it when as parents we get it right. So many times we react instead of waiting and learning and listening. I failed many times I know but I am still trying and will keep on forever. I became a nanny last night for the second time. Though little Elle is now our only grandchild sadly. So the learning will begin again as a grandparent this time. I hope I can fit into the word grand.

Wanda said...

Oh, I will miss her terribly if that is the route she decides--and I will support her wholeheartedly wherever she goes. I've so enjoyed vicariously living with her family.

fullsoulahead.com said...

Thank you so much for this beautiful post.

I tried to e-mail (using the address in the comment form) to say it was fine to use the picture, and I just got it back in a return to sender, couldn't go through kind of thing.

Thank you for being such a supportive long time reader of my blog. I really appreciate it.

graceonline said...

Box of Chocolates, welcome. Because I've read your other blog, I know how very welcome this child is to your family. May you feel all the joy and none of the sorrow this time round. Many, many blessings.

Wanda, me too!

fullsoulahead, you are most welcome. I've learned so much from you, on many levels. Thank YOU for finding the time to post these last several years. You will be sorely missed. Re email: Apparently, I lost that button when I upgraded my template. It's back in my profile now, so you should be able to send to me going forward.

Deb Shucka said...

I agree with everything you say here. Losing Michelle will leave a big hole in the blogosphere, and in our hearts.

graceonline said...

Yup, Deb, and did you notice she posted her last yesterday? Glad for her and new beginnings. Sad for us.

Post a Comment